Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Windows 2000/Oracle 9i Server specification
Windows 2000/Oracle 9i Server specification [message #59616] Mon, 08 December 2003 11:02 Go to next message
Debbie Masonheimer
I'm purchasing a new Windows 2000 server to run primarily Oracle 9i company-internal database applications. It's been requested that I provide specifications for the server, and I'm looking for documentation on what exactly to purchase. I have approximately 25 users currently, but I want to allow for growth to 50. I've checked available Oracle websites (OTN, MetaLink, etc.), but I can't find an recommended specifications. Can anyone help?
Re: Windows 2000/Oracle 9i Server specification [message #59632 is a reply to message #59616] Wed, 10 December 2003 07:16 Go to previous message
scott
Hi Debbie,
I would go about answering these questions first

(1)Is it an OLTP or OLAP?
(2)How large is the database? (Couple of Gigs?)
(3)How much of resource intensive work do you expect to be dumped on the processor?
(4)If you are looking at querying a 100 GB database and response time of less than a second or so then may be you need to consider a dual processor machine.
(5)How good are you at tuning the physical aspects of the database?
(6) Usually the more the merrier cannot be applied to Oracle.

Go about answering these questions and you will get at least 60 % of the system configuration.

Scott
Previous Topic: dropping a user
Next Topic: Urgent! Please help! Oracle time out session
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 14:19:59 CDT 2024