Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » why end-of-file- communication channel error will raise
why end-of-file- communication channel error will raise [message #59593] Sat, 06 December 2003 05:14 Go to next message
dilip kumar
my database is oracle 9i and running on MSWINDOWS 2000 server

when i try to execute DESC
i.e when i want to see the structure of table with the help of DESC command then i am getting the following error
ERROR:
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

and it is terminating the session
Re: why end-of-file- communication channel error will raise [message #59595 is a reply to message #59593] Sat, 06 December 2003 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
It can be due to umpteen reasons. Are you getting this error ,just after establishing a session and trying to execute any sql statement or just this one (ie DESC) ? IF it is just this statement,try to enable sql_trace and look into the associated server trace file. Check your trace files(user , background, alert.log) for more details ( to see if this is an instance level or session level or statement level issue) ..

-Thiru
Re: why end-of-file- communication channel error will raise [message #59599 is a reply to message #59595] Sat, 06 December 2003 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dilip kumar
this message is getting only when i execute DESC command other SQL statements are working fine and if i execute DESC command at instance level or at session level both are terminating

and i have trace files and <DBWRalert> file it is displaying pid killed
Re: why end-of-file- communication channel error will raise [message #59601 is a reply to message #59599] Sat, 06 December 2003 07:49 Go to previous message
Thiru
so your server process is getting killed(or terminated for some reasons ) . Try to Analyze Validate structure and look for errors (and a dbv against this file perhaps ).. How about other tools or is it just with sqlplus ?
Even an improper relink of Oracle executable or sqlplus could cause this problem(you could try relinking your kernel,sqlplus,but do this at your own risk). If this is reproducible after instance restart/server reboot/across multiple sessions/different user logins , try to query metalink for any additional details on this platform and any bug/patch information .
Previous Topic: linux or solaris of oracle
Next Topic: Oracle and LDAP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 14:32:00 CDT 2024