Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Just Wondered...pls. help!!
Just Wondered...pls. help!! [message #59530] Sun, 30 November 2003 21:11 Go to next message
sachin kumar gupta
Hi,

I am running Oracle 9.0.1 on Windows 2000 Adv. Server. I know that the default parameter file is SPFILESID.ora for instance startup. But, I think OEM uses ORACLE_HOMEsysmanifilesdef_SID.ora file for instance startup. I wondered when I saw the shared pool size was much higher in def_SID.ora than SPFILESID.ora. Even def_SID.ora was also much higher processes. This happened when I automated for dbstartup using def_SID.ora.

Why is this def_SID.ora used for & why it is introduced when SPFILESID.ora is already there? Also, what parameter file shall I use for instance starup?

TIA,
Sachin
Re: Just Wondered...pls. help!! [message #59543 is a reply to message #59530] Tue, 02 December 2003 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sanjay
I dunno much about windows env, but the thing is after you make changes in the init.ora file, you have to update the spfile

1. delete the spfile;

2. SQL> create spfile from pfile;

And as you mentioned, since you have automated the startup using the init.ora, why were you expecting to startup with the spfile ?

spfile, if it is there, is used in the startup when it is given without any params, like just 'startup'.

Later.

Hope this helps.
Re: Just Wondered...pls. help!! [message #59547 is a reply to message #59543] Tue, 02 December 2003 21:27 Go to previous message
sachin kumar gupta
I haven't made any changes in init.ora. And also I am not starting db using init.ora. I have started db using def_SID.ora.
I just want to know the difference betwn. def_SID.ora and spfileSID.ora. & why is def_SID introduced.

TIA,
Sachin
Previous Topic: ORA-00600 -- internal error
Next Topic: Location of Alert, log or error file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 14:16:56 CDT 2024