Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Flashback logs and guranteed restore point (11gr2 on rhel (11.2.0.4.0))
Flashback logs and guranteed restore point [message #673431] Mon, 19 November 2018 22:30 Go to next message
dba4oracle
Hi Guys,

Oracle DB 11gr2 on rhel (11.2.0.4.0)

We have one Test server on which create guranteed restore point before some testing
Due to some issues on this server ,we want to clone db /transfer on alternate server

I done many times in the past using using rman and other technique,but now i want to transfer guranteed restore point also
on alternate server,and when require rollback upto when restore point is taken

I took Full rman backup of DB,took full schema export back and all copied all flashback logs

with this will i able to transfer guranteed restore point from source to target,after i restore db on target using rman backup

Let me know your views
Thanks
Re: Flashback logs and guranteed restore point [message #673432 is a reply to message #673431] Mon, 19 November 2018 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
dba4oracle wrote on Mon, 19 November 2018 20:30
Hi Guys,

Oracle DB 11gr2 on rhel (11.2.0.4.0)

We have one Test server on which create guranteed restore point before some testing
Due to some issues on this server ,we want to clone db /transfer on alternate server

I done many times in the past using using rman and other technique,but now i want to transfer guranteed restore point also
on alternate server,and when require rollback upto when restore point is taken

I took Full rman backup of DB,took full schema export back and all copied all flashback logs

with this will i able to transfer guranteed restore point from source to target,after i restore db on target using rman backup

Let me know your views
Thanks
Yes, No, Maybe, It depends.

What does your testing SHOW you the results?
Re: Flashback logs and guranteed restore point [message #673433 is a reply to message #673432] Mon, 19 November 2018 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dba4oracle
Testing is batch run on DB will have lot of DML (update ,deletes on multiple tables),before starting the activity created guranted restore point but now cloned db to another server and copied all flashback logs on new server ,want to rollback on new server pre testing state
Re: Flashback logs and guranteed restore point [message #673434 is a reply to message #673433] Mon, 19 November 2018 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dba4oracle
To clarify i list scenerio as below ,will Rman PITR/until scn works in this case
-Guranteed Restore point created on server A ,2 weeks back (no rman or export backup at this stage taken)
-Testing completed on Server A, from past 2 week ,lot of DML changes
-Reliase issues in Server A,now migrating to Server B,Took Rman Backup,Full schema export and copied from Server A to Server B,also copied all flashback logs from server A to Server B
-Restore Rman Backup on Server B and cloned DB,but on DB in Server B ,Guranteed is not visible
Now need to rollback to pre testing stage on Server B (2 weeks back)

Will Rman PITR /Until SCN works in this case

Please suggest
Re: Flashback logs and guranteed restore point [message #673441 is a reply to message #673434] Tue, 20 November 2018 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
As BlackSwan suggests, the only way for you to be sure is to create a test case and try it yourself. And test again. Document, test again. How will you explain to your boss that it is all broken because you just did what someone on the internet told you to do?
Re: Flashback logs and guranteed restore point [message #673442 is a reply to message #673441] Tue, 20 November 2018 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dba4oracle
your reply is funny ,are you using forum for first time
Re: Flashback logs and guranteed restore point [message #673444 is a reply to message #673442] Tue, 20 November 2018 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
Quote:

gazzag

dba4oracle
Re: Flashback logs and guranteed restore point [message #673446 is a reply to message #673444] Tue, 20 November 2018 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

... in addition, dba4oracle asks, gazzag answers...

Re: Flashback logs and guranteed restore point [message #673447 is a reply to message #673444] Tue, 20 November 2018 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dba4oracle
thats another funny part just by putting more messages u become senior member unfortunately not understand objective of such technical forum
if go by your views no one will use forum for any clarification
Re: Flashback logs and guranteed restore point [message #673448 is a reply to message #673447] Tue, 20 November 2018 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I think you really do have to try it to be sure of the answer.

There will be a dependency on how you do the clone, of course. If you use an RMAN duplicate, there is no way the restore point can survive because the new DBID will invalidate everything prior to that. If you use an RMAN PITR, then the controlfile structures that record restore points may be OK but whether copying flashback logs into the FRA is going to make them usable is different matter. You can't catalog them, so I don't know that they will be recognized.

You will have to test.
Re: Flashback logs and guranteed restore point [message #673457 is a reply to message #673447] Tue, 20 November 2018 07:43 Go to previous message
gazzag
Quote:
u become senior member unfortunately not understand objective of such technical forum
Sorry, I stand corrected. Your idea will work 100%. Sorry for appearing obtuse.
Previous Topic: relink ORACLE_HOME with EXPORT process
Next Topic: Error recover database RMAN-06054
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 02:54:54 CDT 2024