Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Archive files getting generated every two minutes
Archive files getting generated every two minutes [message #56745] Tue, 22 April 2003 06:14 Go to next message
Raghu
Hi,

We are running oracle 8.1.7 on a L2000 HP-UX machine. The OS is HP-UX 11.0.

Problem:
Earlier, archive files were getting generated every half an hour. So, we had written a script which will backup & remove these archive files which are 7 days old.

But now, the archive files are getting generated every two minutes. Could you please let me know what changes/error conditions I need to look for which could be causing this behaviour.

Thanks in Advance,
Regards,
Raghu
Re: Archive files getting generated every two minutes [message #56749 is a reply to message #56745] Tue, 22 April 2003 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sanjay
First thing you ask yourself is has the work load increased ? Are you doing any special activity like end of month, end of quarter report ??

Is this behaviour temporary ?? Will the archive log frequency come back to normal after 2 weeks or so ? or when did this exactly start ?
Re: Archive files getting generated every two minutes [message #56750 is a reply to message #56745] Tue, 22 April 2003 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raghu
Hi,

The work load hasn't increased. Rather it has decreased a bit.

There are no special activity that has been done. Also this is not getting back to normal state for the last 16 days.

Thanks for your Reply,
Raghu
Re: Archive files getting generated every two minutes [message #56752 is a reply to message #56745] Tue, 22 April 2003 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
psmyth
basically, anything causing inserts, deletes or updates will generate 'redo' and therefore archive logs.

Given the amount you are generating (i don't know what size your redo logs are, so I'm guessing a bit here), it would appear that someone is doing some kind of data load (sql*loader, sqlcopy etc).

Or maybe there's a big delete going on?

It definitely sounds like you're in for an interesting day though ;-)
Re: Archive files getting generated every two minutes [message #56757 is a reply to message #56745] Tue, 22 April 2003 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
psmyth
if there's nothing apparent going on, you could do some log mining on the archive logs and see what's in them.

Can you tie the activity to particular processes? Have you got Oracle Enterprise Manager / DBA Studio or another gui db tool installed anywhere so you can easily see what the active connections are doing?

Someone was advertising a rather fab'n'groovy gui tool on here last week... I'm sure you got the emails. If you haven't got one, maybe that'd help ;-)
Re: Archive files getting generated every two minutes [message #56802 is a reply to message #56749] Fri, 25 April 2003 14:41 Go to previous message
krishna
What is the size of each of the archive log file
generated every two minutes (compared to your redo log ).

If you have small archive logs perhaps some init parameters are over working.

If they are same size, it got to be DML.
Previous Topic: Slow running Function
Next Topic: its very urgent pls help me!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 09:53:20 CDT 2024