Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » can't find Oracle control files
can't find Oracle control files [message #55924] Mon, 24 February 2003 19:37 Go to next message
John Mancuso
Just did a clean install of Oracle 9 on Redhat 8 and when I do a 'dbstart' it says it can't find my control files (ora_control1,2). I did a search in the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory and could not find it. It's not anywhere else either- should I create it- how?
Re: can't find Oracle control files [message #55930 is a reply to message #55924] Tue, 25 February 2003 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
did u create a daatabase?
installer asks for options to create a seed database (or starter database).
Re: can't find Oracle control files [message #55935 is a reply to message #55924] Tue, 25 February 2003 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Mancuso
Not yet- my strategy was to get Oracle working perfectly and then create my database. I didn't know you had to create a database first. When I launch the db assistant to create a database it asks me for the sysdba password. What is it? I'm a SQL veteran but an Oracle newbie.
Re: can't find Oracle control files [message #55940 is a reply to message #55935] Tue, 25 February 2003 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Mancuso
I have a database but no tables- it won' let me do anything.

I can connect to sqlplus if i do a "sqlplus
/nolog; connect / as sysdba". Then i'll do a
'startup' and the Oracle instance starts ok (except
for an error in identifying controlfile).
From here I can't do anything- can't create a simple
table, describe anything...etc.For example-

create table crap (ID NUMBER);
ERROR
ORA-01109: database not open.

If I try to log in with sqlplus-

Enter user-name: oracle
Enter password:*******
ERROR:
ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in
progress

ora_pmon_Oracle,ora_dbw0_Oracle,ora_lgwr_Oracle,ora_ckpt_Oracle,ora_smon_Oracle,ora_reco_Oracle all show up in my process list.
Re: can't find Oracle control files [message #55942 is a reply to message #55924] Tue, 25 February 2003 21:13 Go to previous message
John Mancuso
fixed it- thanks guys- your the best!
Previous Topic: ORA-03114 not connected to ORACLE
Next Topic: Trace sqlplus
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 06:51:00 CDT 2024