Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » How To Restore Oracle 8i After Windows 98 Reinstalled
How To Restore Oracle 8i After Windows 98 Reinstalled [message #55469] Sun, 26 January 2003 14:29 Go to next message
Jingkun Zhu
Hello Everyone,

I have recently experienced a disatrous situation. I have Oracle 8i personal edition installed on a Windows 98 second edition. For some reason, my Windows 98 os crashed and I had no other choice but to reinstall Win98 without formatting my hard disk. After the reinstallation of my os, I can no longer start my Oracle 8i server. when I attempt to start it by double click on the orastart file. I get the message saying "can not find in registry SID_LIST".

What should I do to restore my Oracle 8i database? I need to say that I did not backup my win98 registry, nor Oracle 8i before the system crashed.

Your suggestion is highly appreciated.

Jingkun
Re: How To Restore Oracle 8i After Windows 98 Reinstalled [message #55471 is a reply to message #55469] Sun, 26 January 2003 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erik Voorma
What you're missing are the Oracle registry entries and/or the path to Oracle in the Autoexec.bat. If you're missing the path to Oracle, add it to the Autoexec.bat. If you're missing LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareOracle from the registry, re-install Oracle (in the same directory as where it was installed before the os crash) and your database will be up and running in no time. Just be sure to have a copy of your ORADATA(SID) directory.
Re: How To Restore Oracle 8i After Windows 98 Reinstalled [message #55518 is a reply to message #55469] Tue, 28 January 2003 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jingkun Zhu
My autoexec.bat remains the same as before os crash. If I reinstall Oracle in the same directory, will my data files be removed because of the new installation?

Jingkun
Re: How To Restore Oracle 8i After Windows 98 Reinstalled [message #55579 is a reply to message #55518] Fri, 31 January 2003 23:59 Go to previous message
Jingkun Zhu
I tried to reinstall Oracle 8i (minimum) in the same directory as os crashed. But I still can't start Oracle. I get the same message "can't read registry /SID_LIST".

Jingkun
Previous Topic: oracle privilege
Next Topic: oracle 8 and 8i diff
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 04:48:28 CDT 2024