Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » shutdown abort - and then what?
shutdown abort - and then what? [message #54944] Tue, 17 December 2002 17:31 Go to next message
Mike C.
First let me say that I am not a DBA. I am a unix admin working on an AIX HACMP implementation. That said - the AIX systems I support run Oracle 9.2.0.1.0.

HACMP requires a quick shot to the head of all processes running on a system, when a failover to a secondary system is in process. Hence, the use of "shutdown abort". I just can't wait for a shutdown immediate because ( in theory ) if a failover is taking place - something has gone very wrong.

Ok - now the question - When I bring up the database on the failover system, should I just perform a normal database start sequence or should I do the startup restrict - shutdown immediate - startup. I've read that the "restrict" option will carry out some level of consistency check; which might be good after a failover. My partner does not feel that we need to go through the later and sites many successful AIX implementations to prove this. Anyone want to take a crack at confirming gut feelings or backing my partners experiences ( or adding your own opinion ).

Thanks in advance.
-Mike C.
Re: shutdown abort - and then what? [message #54945 is a reply to message #54944] Tue, 17 December 2002 18:29 Go to previous message
seng
After shutdown abort, you just need to restart back as normal.
However, shutdown abort will need more time to start back because database need to do some recovery. This method is not encourage to use if the issue is not serious.
"startup - shutdown normal - startup" should be safety method to make everything is working fine before declare the database is in good condition. (refer from log file to check ).
Hope this is helping. thanks
Previous Topic: Re: Oracle Character Sets
Next Topic: where to find RDBMS version
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 02:28:43 CDT 2024