Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » ORA-27101 SHARED MEMORY REALM DOES NOT EXIST??
ORA-27101 SHARED MEMORY REALM DOES NOT EXIST?? [message #54831] Mon, 09 December 2002 08:07 Go to next message
raman
Hi

Suddenly I got this error while I try to connect to database.

ORA-27101 SHARED MEMORY REALM DOES NOT EXIST...

It is urgent....

thankyou
mrrj@hotmail.com
Re: ORA-27101 SHARED MEMORY REALM DOES NOT EXIST?? [message #54832 is a reply to message #54831] Mon, 09 December 2002 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
psmyth
something basic wrong here... if your on unix, it would appear your oracle environment (ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID) aren't set... prolly the same if you're on windows, but I don't use it, so can't help.

Rule of thumb - if the error looks catastrophic, the solution is simple ;-)
Re: ORA-27101 SHARED MEMORY REALM DOES NOT EXIST?? [message #54834 is a reply to message #54831] Mon, 09 December 2002 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
psmyth
Doesn't appear to be a 9i-only parameter...

from metalink:

Question:
~~~~~~~~~
What does the init<SID>.ora parameter named 07_Dictionary_Accessibility do, how does it affect my database, and how should it be set?

Answer:
~~~~~~~
The parameter 07_Dictionary_Accessibility can be set to TRUE or FALSE. The affect on your database is different depending on whether you are using Oracle 9i or a version previous to Oracle 9i.

Versions PRIOR to Oracle 9i: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The default of this parameter is TRUE. The dictionary protection mechanism in Oracle 8 prevents unauthorized users from accessing dictionary objects. Access to dictionary objects is restricted to the users with the system privileges SYSDBA and SYSOPER. System privileges providing access to objects in other schemas do not give access to dictionary objects. For example, the SELECT ANY TABLE privilege enables access to views and tables in other schemas, but it does not enable you to select dictionary objects. If the parameter is set to TRUE, which is the default, access to objects in SYS schema is enabled (Oracle 7 behavior). If this parameter is set to FALSE, system privileges that allow access to objects in other schemas do not allow access to objects in the dictionary schema. For example, if 07_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY=FALSE, then the SELECT ANY TABLE statement enables access to views or tables in any schema except SYS schema. The system privilege, EXECUTE ANY PROCEDURE enables access on the procedures in any other schema except in SYS schema.

Oracle 9i:
~~~~~~~~~~
The default of this parameter in 9i is FALSE. The FALSE setting requires login with AS SYSDBA to read the data dictionary, or to be given explicit object grants.

Warning:
~~~~~~~~
Oracle has changed from versions 9.0.1 and beyond the default of this parameter to FALSE, and strongly recommends that you do not change back the parameter. In the process of turning Oracle Server secure out of the box, this was one of the reasons we decide to change the parameter. This way, you can't login with a "regular" SYS connection anymore to look up data dictionary. Instead, you should set your own dba accounts with appropriate privileges and passwords.

References:
~~~~~~~~~~~
Oracle University, Oracle 9i New Features For Adminstrators, Chapter 1, Oracle Server Security, Page 1-5

Oracle University, Oracle 8: Database Administration, Chapter 19, Managing Privileges, Page 19-15
Re: ORA-27101 SHARED MEMORY REALM DOES NOT EXIST?? [message #55815 is a reply to message #54831] Tue, 18 February 2003 00:47 Go to previous message
Praveen
Shutdown your system & have a cup of coffee and restart your system

You will get connected to the database.
Previous Topic: How can i connect to a remote Oracle server throw VC++
Next Topic: Configure oracle server to support Distributed Transactions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 04:19:29 CDT 2024